New Driving Licence Points System in Spain
The points are to be deducted when the fine becomes fixed. When you receive the letter with the fine there are three things you can do.
- Pay up within a month and get a 30% discount and get the points deducted.
- Launch an appeal within 15 days.
- Do nothing. If you do nothing the fine is considered fixed in a month when your points will be deducted.
If you leave the fine unpaid, you'll find the amount due taken automatically from your tax rebate or directly from your bank account.
- Speeding - Between 2 and 6 points depending on how far above the speed limit you were travelling.
- Using the mobile phone or any other apparatus considered a distraction - 3 points.
- Not using your seat belt or helmet for bike riders - 3 points.
- Drink driving - 4 or 6 points.
Points can also be lost in the following circumstances:
2 points will be taken for:
- Dangerous parking
- Using radar speed trap detectors
- Forgetting to turn on your headlights
- Taking a child under 12 as a passenger on a motorbike
3 points will be taken for:
- Making an illegal turn.
- Driving too close to the vehicle in front.
4 points will be taken for:
- Driving without the correct license
- Taking a vehicle onto a motorway that is not authorized
- Reversing on a motorway
- Dangerous driving or overtaking
- Blocking another driver from overtaking
- Jumping a red light
- Disobeying police instructions
- Throwing any dangerous objects from the car - this includes cigarette butts
- Driving with too many people in the vehicle
And finally 6 points will be taken for:
- For extreme dangerous driving, which could be, for example, taking part in racing, driving against the traffic and so on.
- Professional drivers risk losing six points if they do not respect official rest periods